Saturday, August 18, 2018

Duterte downplays motivation behind War on Drugs on his 3rd year of term




President Rodrigo Duterte / Photo from Peace and Freedom
President Rodrigo Duterte, on Thursday expressed his regret amid worsening illegal drug problem in the country and admitted to continually failing to deliver substantial results as promised during electoral campaign.

In contrast to his initial assessment of putting an end to the drug menace within 6 months upon his appointment, the President has succumbed to the notion that his controversial War on Drugs may only result to a debacle after already 2 years in office.


In his speech at a convention in Davao City, President Duterte asserted, “Ang shabu noon was a million pesos transaction. Dito ngayon, billion. Kung billion ‘yan, ibig sabihin may market.”

Duterte has apparently called on both the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) after the its FAILURE to oversee a huge shipment of Shabu amounting to P6.8 Billion just a year after the Bureau of Customs (BOC) was able to seize another shipment amounting to P6.5 Billion.
President Rodrigo Duterte / Photo from Philippine Headline News Online
The President did not minced words on illegal drug dependents while making an appeal that killing drug suspects may not suffice if there is still an existing market share from among the diversified users, young and old.

“Sino ang market diyan? ‘Di ‘yung mga anak natin, ‘yung mga Pilipino estupido. Alam nila masisira ang utak mo, papa — napakahina naman ninyo,” Duterte said.

“I’d like to address myself to the nation, to all Filipinos listening who are not yet there. Masyado ka namang bobo. Putang ina papasok ka ng ganun tapos magiging gago ka. I mean wala akong bilib sa inyo. Either napakahina ang utak ninyo, prinsipyo ninyo,”

“Kaya dapat kayong mga babae huwag kayong magsagot ng mga lalake ganun. Inutil ‘yan. Ibig sabihin duwag ‘yan at madali madala. Kung asawa mo pa, iwanan mo,” he added.

The President started lamenting on difficulties of scaling down the drug problem last year, mainly due to lack of equipment, difficult terrain and its transitory presidential term. He also compared a similar situation with that in the U.S. which, he described as, ‘even – worse’.
President Rodrigo Duterte / Photo from Asia Times
“America is under siege because of drugs. And they are far worse than us. Yes, of course, they do not admit it,” he said.

“Until now, I said, they’re fighting a useless war there that never ends. And the sad part of it is that most of the drugs are provided by their good neighbors,” the President added.

The former Davao Mayor for 20 years, was perceived by his supporters as a man with an iron fist and a much-awaited solution to crime, corruption and drugs, recounted his time saying he once ruled Davao with a heavy hand.


“In Davao I used to do it personally. Just to show to the guys [the police] that if I can do it, why can't you,” Duterte confessed last December. He said he would “go around in Davao with a motorcycle, with a big bike around, and I would just patrol the streets, looking for trouble also. I was really looking for a confrontation, so I could kill.”

****

Dear avid readers, what do you think of this article? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Source:  politics.com.ph