Wednesday, August 22, 2018

PNP takes threats vs. PRRD seriously - Abayalde




Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Oscar Albayalde / PNA Photo file



Manila, Philippines –  Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Oscar Albayalde said that law enforcement officials are taking the reports of threats to the life of President Rodrigo Duterte seriously.

"We take and consider all the threats against the life of the President seriously," the PNP chief said addressing the reporters on Wednesday.


Abayalde added that they do not dismiss the supposed threats whether foreign or domestic.

"(I want) to debunk some inaccurate reports sourced from some misquoted information attributed to me as having issued statements to the effect that there is no threat on the life of the president. For good measure we take the security concerns of the president very seriously .We always assume that there is a continuing threat on the life of the President as we are taking it seriously because there is always that possibility that some interest groups may want him out of their way including the underground communist movement, local terrorist organizations and even foreign entities," Albayalde said .

He stressed that all reported threats on the President’s life should be taken seriously especially since the information came from Duterte himself.

"We cannot all say that these are all fictitious. These are all raw intelligence information that needs to be validated," Abayalde added.

The PNP chief also stressed out that at the onset of the government's war on drugs, there had already been reports of drug lords offering an assassination contract worth PHP100 million for the President and former PNP chief and now Bureau of Corrections Director Ronald dela Rosa.*

"I honestly believe that the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police can adequately protect the president against anyone who wish him harm," Albayalde added

Last Friday, President Duterte revealed in a speech during the Hugpong ng Pagbabago’s oath taking event, that United State’s Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) wanted him dead.

“Nakatingin ako sa TV dahil gusto kong i-emphasize sa mga Amerikano. May mga CIA ngayon. Ang balita gusto nila akong patayin.  Go ahead…be my guest…after all, this country will remain the way it is. Kaya pag pumutok ang helicopter ko dyan, sila yan,” the president said.

“Who are you to warn us?  You meet me in a forum and I will invite everybody interested. You state your case why you are against my country acquiring  submarines. Give me the reasons why and make it public. You want us to remain backwards,” President Duterte said.

This statement of the president came after a high-ranking US official warned the government against its plan to purchase military equipment from Russia.

"I think they should think very carefully about that," US Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian and Pacific Security Affairs Randall Schriver said in a roundtable interview on August 16.

“If they were to proceed with purchasing major Russian equipment, I don't think that's a helpful thing to do [in our] alliance and I think ultimately we can be a better partner than the Russians can be," Schriver added.


 Source: PNA