Joma Sison: Reds can oust Duterte regime anytime - The Daily Sentry

Friday, June 22, 2018



Joma Sison: Reds can oust Duterte regime anytime





President Rodrigo Duterte, CPP founder Joma Sison / photo file (ctto)


President Rodrigo Duterte has suspended the peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) which triggered anger from its founder Jose Maria Sison, who said that rebel groups were ready to oust Duterte anytime.

The administration suspended the negotiation to give way to a three-month review of all previous agreements between the two parties.

The peace talks were initially scheduled on June 28, a week after the “stand-down” agreement, but the President changed his mind after talking to the police and military officials last week and said that there should be public discussions first.

“In a meeting with the NDF leaders headed by Chief Negotiator Fidel Agcaoili and attended by Chief Political Consultant Jose Ma. Sison, the government team also conveyed the Philippine government’s decision to suspend all back-channel talks with the NDF pending the three-month review of all signed agreements related to the peace negotiations,” back-channel negotiator Hernani Braganza said

 “The suspension, however, does not preclude communications between the two parties if deemed necessary,” he added.

Braganza disclosed that NDF representatives have “expressed willingness to keep an open mind on the President’s decision and wait for the outcome of the government’s review before proceeding with any peace conversation with government” during the meeting.

“They reiterated their commitment to all signed agreements, including those involving the planned visit of Prof. Jose Ma. Sison in the Philippines to Manila for a meeting with the President,” he added.
The NDF was made aware of the government representatives of the reason why the peace talks need to be suspended. *

“The NDF leaders, for their part, expressed intention to conduct their own separate actions and activities that aim to protect the gains already achieved as a result of back-channel, informal and formal talks between the two panels,” Braganza said.

NDF will also consider the invitation for them to join the public consultations but in a separate statement, NDF representatives only confirmed that they would conduct their own consolations; and that agreements signed during back-channel talks held June 18 to 20 would remain valid.

The NDF also said that it would accomplish the draft of the section on environmental rehabilitation, compensation and upholding the people’s rights.

Angry CPP founder Joma Sison, however, encouraged the public and the media “read and study carefully and compare critically the two separate statements issued by the [government and NDF]after their talks from June 18 to 20,”.

He also insisted that peace negotiation should be held in a neutral territory, which should be overseas not in the Philippines as requested by President Duterte.

“The [government]side is inconsistent and self-contradictory. It seems to wish that the gains and agreements made in the back-channel talks be preserved but it has informed the [NDF] that Duterte will review everything (process and agreements) since decades ago in three months,” Sison said.*

“Duterte continues to kill the peace negotiations. While he does this, the [NDF] can always stand for peace negotiations not necessarily with the Duterte regime of unbridled terror and greed. The broad united front of patriotic and progressive forces and the people’s war are advancing and can oust the Duterte regime in due time,” Sison added.

Meanwhile, Malacanang have also assured the public that the President will not turn his back on the previous agreements.

“The status now is that all the talks are now on hold until the President reviews [the agreements]. And the President has said, I’m revealing for the first time that he will personally review all these agreements entered into by all his predecessors,” Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. told the media.

Sison’s homecoming and the face-to-face meeting with President Duterte was in the works even before the resumption of peace talks was called off and suspended.

When asked whether the President’s offer is still valid, the presidential spokesperson said, “It was actually an offer rejected already by Joma Sison for now.”

Sison has been on self-exile since 1987. He said that his return was still “subject to the necessary political, legal, security and technical requirements.”



Source: Manila Times