Mali sa birth certificate: Here are the steps to correct details on birth certificate - The Daily Sentry

Mali sa birth certificate: Here are the steps to correct details on birth certificate

Mali sa birth certificate: Here are the steps to correct details on birth certificate
In the radio program  "Usapang De Campanilla" in DZMM, Editha Orcilla, assistant national statistician of the Civil Registration Service ng Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), explained the process of having one's birth certificate corrected.

Among the most common corrections done in birth certificates are the names, birth dates and sex of the owners.

The first step is to file a petition to the civil registrar's office where the individual is registered.

A correction of entry can amount to a maximum of P1,000. While a "migrant petition; or those filed in Civil registrar offices that are not where the individuals are registered, can reach up to P1,500.

Applicants need bring two copies of birth certificates to be corrected, two records to support the change, which could be school records or medical or baptismal certificates, and other documents like such.

According to Orcilla, the process takes around three months as these will be sent by the local civil registrar to the Philippine Statistics Authority which will be then sent back for the local civil registrar to approve for the certificate of finality.

The document is unchanged, however, there will be an annotation.

"We are not allowed to change any entries in the record mismo. We cannot erase kasi tampering na po ‘yan. We just do the annotation," she said.

Filipinos abroad can apply for the change in their respective embassies.

An application cannot be made online.

For a change in the sex provided, the individual need accreditation from a doctor recognized by the government, and the fees for such transaction is separate.

"Ito po’y kailangan personal na pumunta ‘yong may-ari ng dokumento at may kailangan pang medical certification from an accredited government physician," Orcilla said.

Below are the details of process and requirements to process birth certificate details correction:

A. Clerical Error Correction
This includes the following correction:

  • Blurred name (first, middle, or last name)
  • Mother’s last name is wrong while the child’s middle name is correct.
  • Child’s middle name is wrong while the mother’s last name is correct.
  • Wrong spelling of the name (first, middle, or last name).
  • Middle and last name have been interchanged.
  • Middle initial entered instead of the full surname.
  • The wrong gender is checked (Muntinlupa Civil Registrar).

Blurred entries in the birth certificate don’t automatically qualify for administrative correction. If the PSA birth certificate is blurred but the LCR (local civil registrar) copy is not, you should file for endorsement so that the LCR can forward the document with clearer entry to the PSA.

However, if both the PSA and LCR copies are blurred, this is the time that you should file a petition for correction of a clerical error (under the provisions of R.A. 9048).

The following is a list of the basic requirements for the correction of clerical errors:

  • PSA Birth Certificate containing the entry to be corrected.
  • Any 2 public or private documents/IDs which will be used as the basis for the clerical error correction: NBI clearance, police clearance, land title or certificate of land transfer, insurance, driver’s license, civil registry records of ascendants, medical record, employment record, business record, voter’s affidavit, baptismal certificate, or GSIS/SSS record.
  • Fee: Php 1,000 for the filing fee (for local applicants) or $50 or equivalent value in local currency (for applicants abroad). Notarization and other document processing fees may raise the total amount of fees to as high as Php 2,000.
  • Other documents that may be requested by the local civil registrar.

B. Wrong Gender or Wrong Day or Month of Birth.

If the wrong gender is checked on your birth certificate (e.g., Male is checked when you’re a female or vice versa), you need to file a petition under R.A. 10172.

On the other hand, if both genders are checked or no gender was chosen at all, you will need to file a Supplemental Report instead (more on this later).

All applicants who will request for their gender to be corrected will personally appear before a doctor accredited by the government. This doctor is usually assigned at the local civil registrar where you’ll file the petition.

The purpose of the medical examination is to ensure no sex transplant occurred prior to the request for birth certificate correction.

As for the wrong birth date, the administrative correction only applies to those with the wrong day or month of birth on their birth certificates. Correction of the wrong year of birth requires a court/judicial proceeding.

To file a petition to correct the wrong gender or wrong day/month of birth, bring the original and photocopies of the requirements listed below.

  • Petition to correct the wrong gender or wrong day/month of birth (notarized). You can obtain this at the local civil registrar where your birth was registered.
  • PSA Birth Certificate containing the entry to be corrected.
  • NBI Clearance and Police/PNP Clearance.
  • Certificate of Employment or Affidavit of Non-Employment.
  • Elementary school records/documents. For applicants who never went to school, please submit an Affidavit attesting to the facts.
  • Medical records from the hospital/clinic where the applicant was born. In case the records are no longer available because the hospital/clinic already closed down, submit an Affidavit attesting to the facts.
  • Baptismal certificate or other documents issued by the church. In case no baptismal certificate or similar document can be obtained, submit an Affidavit attesting to the facts.
  • PSA Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate of children (for married applicants only).
  • Any 2 valid public or private IDs/documents upon which the correction will be based: Income Tax Return, bank records, PRC license, Land Title or Certificate of Transfer of Title, driver’s license, company ID, voter’s ID, SSS, GSIS, Philhealth, Pag-ibig, etc.
  • Medical Certification issued by the city/municipal doctor or health officer after evaluating the true gender of the document owner and ensuring that no sex change/transplant took place.
  • Fee: Filing fee of Php 3,000 (for local applicants) or $150 or the equivalent value in local currency (for those filing the petition abroad). In addition to this, expect to also pay a publication fee of anywhere between Php 1,200 and Php 2,500 as well as other notarization and requirement-related fees.

Source:, Filipiknow